May 11, 2009

I leave for Afghanistan tommorow... almost

I'm not to good at letting people know I'm leaving. I have yet to link this blog to anyone. I would say ten to tweleve civilian friends of mine know I'm leaving... yeah I suck. By all rights I should be sleeping right now. I'm not awake because I'm nervous. Strangely that is the exact reason I should be awake. Nope I decided to stay up and do what I always do... completely waste my entire night and regret it tommorow. I however won't really regret it to much. I have a long flight which will make its landing in Kuwait. Would tell you what I'm doing there but the government wouldn't like that very much. I'll be doing some work in Kuwait for a short amount of time. After I'm done being fluffed in Kuwait (if you don't get it look it up) then I go for the real thing. I'll be posting as much as I can throughout this tour. It helps me to break up the monotony of Army life during deployment.

Some of you have read my blogs from years past in previous tours. For those of you who haven't this is semi enjoyable from what I have heard from some. I'm not going to be crying and telling you a story of a 'struggle'. I sure as hell will not be talking like I'm GI Joe the all American hero. For the poor guys who write there 'memoirs' or there 'pains during war' I feel for them. Anyone can write a depressing half bi polar tale of epic sorrow. Even easier is the man who speaks of 'sudden invincibility' in the face of the enemey. These guys write great bookshelf books. Maybe the lucky few will get a New York Times Bestseller. Tear jerking stories are way over-rated
Thanks for reading them and giving some love. For those that haven't, they kick ass and put a funny spin on a strange thing call 'war'.

This is my last night in my apartment. Three bedrooms, two bathes, oversized kitchen and living room. I'm freezing my ass off because it happened to get cold out. I didn't turn the damn heat on. I'm drinking Pabst blue ribbon beer and sitting in the most uncomfortable folding chair ever. Sitting in the small third bedroom where my futton, twenty dollar plastic fold up table/desk (desk is a overstatement) are. Walls covered in the self-loathing disgust covered with all of my 'accomplishments'. A map of Afghanistan on my wall to the right to remind me of my touristy destination. Duffles bags packed and still have the computer hooked up trying to squeeze that last bit of piracy thievery. Still have the weekends beard of my face and trying to push the next shower closer to my departure time. Need to be fresh on the flight over there. Watching the blink of the modem knowing this the last time I use fast internet for a year. Enjoying the feel of civilian clothes for the last time. Wish I used more fabric softener on those last loads. "Not for the weak or fainthearted" the Ranger handbook says to me while proped up on my desk. I slapped the Ranger handbook down in anger say aloud "What do you know!" Then I quietly laugh to myself about it.

The funny thing about the third time for me is I'm not nervous. I don't know if thats a bad thing or not. It just feels like another day at the office. Its pretty freakin cool if you ask me. I'm deploying on a monday, since 360 mondays (or more!) begins tommorow. Its like the perfect way to do it. Well the first blog is the worst blog. Thanks for reading.

(Anything I mark out from now on is something I planned on deleting. I will leave everything uncut and only gramatically fixed if I feel it does not change the intended context.)

No comments: